What to do if you find an injured bird of prey
If you find a raptor that appears injured or sick follow these steps;
- Have a jacket, towel or sheet in hand (or wear riggers gloves)
- Approach it slowly and from behind
- Gently but firmly pick up the bird enclosing the wings to the body
BEWARE OF THE TALONS (claws)
- Place the bird in a cardboard box
Be mindful of damage to long tails when choosing a box.
- If you don’t have a box you can wrap the bird in a towel or sheet as you would a baby.
- Have someone hold the bird while you find a large box
- Contact our centre for assistance.
- Keep the bird in a dark, quiet, warm place free from kids and pets until help arrives.
- YOUR ASSISTANCE IN TRAVELLING THE BIRD IS MUCH APPRECIATED
We receive over 100 birds annually, the single largest cost and physical drain on valuable volunteers is fuel and driving hours.